Sunday 4 January 2015

REVIEW: GOLDEN SON BY PERCE BROWN

I'm starting new year with a bang. My first review in 2015 is of the book I read couple of weeks ago but still can't stop thinking about. It is completely spoiler-free so you can read it even if you haven't started this series yet (in such a case, I suggest you put everything aside and read first book Red Rising right now!)

Golden Son (Red Rising #2)
Written by: Pierce Brown
Published by: Del Rey

Purchase: Amazon / B&N / BD
Genre: Science Fiction / Fantasy

       
        
With shades of The Hunger Games, Ender’s Game, and Game of Thrones, debut author Pierce Brown’s genre-defying epic Red Rising hit the ground running and wasted no time becoming a sensation. Golden Son continues the stunning saga of Darrow, a rebel forged by tragedy, battling to lead his oppressed people to freedom from the overlords of a brutal elitist future built on lies. Now fully embedded among the Gold ruling class, Darrow continues his work to bring down Society from within. A life-or-death tale of vengeance with an unforgettable hero at its heart, Golden Son guarantees Pierce Brown’s continuing status as one of fiction’s most exciting new voices.

MY REVIEW:


Profound and thought-provoking, this novel will rarely allow you to catch your breath with its fast-paced and nerve-wracking atmosphere. Pierce Brown stayed true to all what made me love Red Rising and even upped the game. I couldn't have wished for a better sequel.



In Golden Son, Darrow continues in his quest of infiltrating into Society ruled by Golds, so he can gain freedom for his people. What used to be life to death "game" between students is now even deadlier real life fight that touches all Colors in Solar System. This sequel had different pace, setting and feel than its predecessor, yet I knew I was reading the same story. And I loved it even more.

Characters
. Depiction and development of characters in this series is outstanding and after reading this book I truly believe that Pierce Brown knows no bounds when it comes to creating fascinating characters. Character-wise, I learnt my lesson in first book - do not get attached. Because besides action, philosophy and politics; this novel is full of deceits, twists and betrayals. What happens when lines between friends and enemies are blurred? Whom can Darrow really trust?


Writing style has this special melancholic and gutsy quality into it. It fits Darrow's character perfectly. It feels like it truly mirrors his deepest thoughts and moods without any sort of prettification or reserves. It's probably main reason why I feel so connected to Darrow, why I love his character so much. His souls is stripped bare on the pages of this novel, his personality hardened by the life-events he had to go through and it's up to readers to decide whether they accept Darrow the way he is or not. Author does not make excuses. And author definitely does not shy away from despair, brutality and all forms of raw emotions when telling Darrow's story.


Storytelling. Pierce Brown excels at it and he secured top place among my favorite authors with his madly bloodydamn good storytelling skills. There is nothing I love more than author's ability to completely consume my thoughts and transfer me into the world he creates on the pages of his novel so I feel like I am right there experiencing everything together with the characters. Pierce Brown achieved that with Red Rising and now with the Golden Son as well. I have never read better thought-out story with such an attention to minor details than this one and I can't wait to find out what has Mr. Brown prepared for us in the final book of this phenomenal trilogy!

Never Miss a Post:

Follow
author image

Lucia @Reading Is My Breathing

Lucia is 29 years old passionate reader and reviewer who enjoys talking about all bookish things. Currently she lives in Prague, works in business industry and dreams of starting her own publishing company. Her weakness? She can never say no to cake, coffee or good novel.