Friday 10 April 2015

NO MORE WAITING #3: THE TRAVELING DUET

Are you fed up with cliffhangers? Are you not patient enough to wait months for next instalment when reading series? Or do you just prefer to completely lose yourself in story and marathon all the books together? If you answered "yes" to at least one of these questions, this post is for you. NO MORE WAITING is a feature on my blog that spotlights completed series. You can look forward to spoiler-free reviews, graphic arts to accompany it and interesting discussions.


The Traveling Duet 

Written by Jane Harvey – Berrick
Purchase: Amazon Book 1/Amazon Book 2

Genre: Contemporary Romance

     
       
I was ordinary. Nice. He was extraordinary. And he wasn’t always nice.

Moody and difficult, brilliant and beautiful, Kes scared me and he protected me. He could be incredibly hurtful and incredibly thoughtful. He wasn’t perfect, but he was perfect for me. He challenged me, he took me out of my safe little box and showed me the world could be magnificent. He was everything I wasn’t.

Aimee Anderson is ten when the traveling carnival first comes to her nice little town. She doesn’t expect her world to change so completely. But meeting Kestrel Donohue puts her life on a different path.

Even though she only sees him for the two weeks of the year when he passes through her home town, his friendship is the most important of her life. As a child’s friendship grows to adult love, the choices become harder, and both Kes and Aimee realize that two weeks a year will never be enough.


SERIES RATING AND REVIEW:


Book 1 - The Traveling Man : 
Book 2 - The Traveling Woman : 




I adore books that take place in a span of years. It always makes me feel closer and more connected to characters. This duology is not an exception. I witnessed life journey of Aimee and Kes since they were 10 years old. Their childhood friendship, teenage romance and most importantly their passionate and wild adult love affair. And I loved it all.

So different, yet so right for each other. Kes is rough and problematic carnival showman. Aimee is sweet and innocent book nerd town girl. No matter how unrealistic, I have been rooting for them to find a way to be together every single page of these novels. But will they ever find a way to be together permanently, not just couple of weeks every year? Will Kes, a man constantly living on the edge, will he ever find his peace?


As individuals, Aimee and Kes weren't that special in my eyes. But when together, they were out-of-this-world magical and perfect for each other. You know this feeling, when you get all excited with butterflies in your belly anytime something angsty or swoon worthy is about to happen in the book? I love this feeling of reading anxiety and Aimee's and Kes's story provided it in big doses.

Moreover, I thoroughly enjoyed the way author composed various aspects together in The Traveling Duet. She interconnected friendship, idealism of first love, people's prejudices, power of second chances and learning that harsh reality of life always gets in the way of your dreams together with colorful magic that only carnival and breathtaking adrenaline shows can provide. Thank you Jane Harvey-Berrick for bringing this little bit of magic to my life!

The only tiny complaint I had, was that while first book kept me on my toes from the beginning to the end, main storyline in second book was very predictable in my opinion. It didn't affect my enjoyment of The Traveling Woman, but it lacked the "wow factor" that The Traveling Man possessed.


I absolutely love books about characters who lead extraordinary out-of-norm lives; lives that I cannot imagine leading myself but find extremely fascinating to read about. The Traveling Duet falls within this category and I recommend it to all those who enjoy unconventional romance stories!


DO YOU ENJOY BOOKS THAT TAKE PLACE IN A SPAN OF MANY YEARS? 
I LOVE TO READ ABOUT CHARACTERS GROWING FROM KIDS TO ADULTS
SO HIT ME WITH SOME RECOMMENDATIONS :)

Never Miss a Post:

Follow
author image

Lucia @Reading Is My Breathing

Lucia is 29 years old passionate reader and reviewer who enjoys talking about all bookish things. Currently she lives in Prague, works in business industry and dreams of starting her own publishing company. Her weakness? She can never say no to cake, coffee or good novel.