Friday 29 March 2013

REVIEW: The Sea of Tranqulity by Katja Millay

Even though I read this book couple of month ago, I have to share it with you because it was my top read of 2012!


The Sea of Tranqulity by Katja Millay

Published by Atria Books

Purchase: Amazon / B&N



Goodreads Blurb:

I live in a world without magic or miracles. A place where there are no clairvoyants or shapeshifters, no angels or superhuman boys to save you. A place where people die and music disintegrates and things suck. I am pressed so hard against the earth by the weight of reality that some days I wonder how I am still able to lift my feet to walk.

Former piano prodigy Nastya Kashnikov wants two things: to get through high school without anyone learning about her past and to make the boy who took everything from her—her identity, her spirit, her will to live—pay.

Josh Bennett’s story is no secret: every person he loves has been taken from his life until, at seventeen years old, there is no one left. Now all he wants is be left alone and people allow it because when your name is synonymous with death, everyone tends to give you your space.

Everyone except Nastya, the mysterious new girl at school who starts showing up and won’t go away until she’s insinuated herself into every aspect of his life. But the more he gets to know her, the more of an enigma she becomes. As their relationship intensifies and the unanswered questions begin to pile up, he starts to wonder if he will ever learn the secrets she’s been hiding—or if he even wants to.

The Sea of Tranquility is a rich, intense, and brilliantly imagined story about a lonely boy, an emotionally fragile girl, and the miracle of second chances.
My Nastya and Josh:
 


* 5 STARS * Review:


To say I love this book would be understatement.

No matter if you prefer light or dark read, YA or chick-lit, paranormal or contemporary just stop whatever you are reading at the moment and read this amazing story!!!


The Sea of Tranquility was perfection! It was beautifully written, with original and interesting ideas, thoughtful characters and never boring storyline. What more do you need? I really loved the style of writing, it was very appealing and it just blew my mind. This is not your typical new-girl-falls-for-popular-guy-guy-falls-for-girl kind of story. This one was different and I mean different in the best possible way. The storyline was building gradually and last 25% was OMG-I-cannot-believe-this-is-happening moment over and over again.

How to introduce Nastya? Well, she is different, she dresses provocatively, she wears heavy make-up and she does not talk at all. But her inner thoughts were pretty descriptive, thoughtfull and sometimes even funny. But the truth is that she is broken inside, bitter and there is so much pain, anger and self-loathing in her. It took almost whole book to find out what exactly had happened to her and why she had decided to behave the way she was behaving but she definitely made this book very special for me.

Josh - I was mesmerized by Josh, he was such an excellent and good person. He is not popular, he is outsider. Not because other people don't want to socialize with him, it is just his decision and he prefers to be left alone. His life was not easy and it is perfectly understandable why he is so inaccessible and shot down. Until Nastya comes into his life...

The Sea of Tranquility is unforgettable story. It is the one I will be coming back to again and again and story about these characters will stay in my heart forever.
author image

Lucia @Reading Is My Breathing

Lucia is 29 years old passionate reader and reviewer who enjoys talking about all bookish things. Currently she lives in Prague, works in business industry and dreams of starting her own publishing company. Her weakness? She can never say no to cake, coffee or good novel.

3 comments:

  1. This was one of my favorite books of all time! Slow building romances are the best. Great review! I want more Josh and Nastya, but I don't want to see them go through anymore pain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book aswell. One of the best ya novels. And i really love your casting. That guy is so yummy <3 Do you know his name?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Leseliebe :) Unfortunatelly, I have no idea what is name of the model...

      Delete